Baking cakes is a much-loved activity, and it's easy to see why, but it can be quite time-consuming and no one likes the colossal pile of washing up to tackle while waiting for them to rise in the oven. Why not skip the washing up, save some time, and go straight to tucking in? Mug cakes can be prepped, baked, and served up all in the same mug with nothing but the ingredients, a teaspoon or fork, and your trusty microwave. Here are our favourite sweet and gooey recipes that you can make in minutes at home:
A simple vanilla cake that you can top with anything you like, or liven up with some chocolate chips and sprinkles.
1) Pick out a mug from your collection, making sure it's microwaveable.
2) Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in the mug with a fork then blend in the butter.
3) Add the milk and vanilla extract and given everything a thorough final stir, making sure no dry ingredients stay unmixed at the bottom.
4) Microwave for 90 seconds, keeping an eye on it as it rises. Leave it to cool for a minute before adding your chosen topping and tucking in.
A sweet chocolate cake with a yummy runny chocolate centre for a quick and indulgent pudding.
1) Mix all of the ingredients, except the chocolate spread and cubes, together in an oversized mug using a small whisk or fork.
2) Press the chocolate cubes into the mug until they’re covered by some of the batter, then spoon over a layer of chocolate spread.
3) Microwave on high for 90 secs, watching that it doesn’t spill over. Let it cool an take a bite to reveal the melted centre.
1) Pick out the perfect mug – one that’s large enough to wrap both your hands around.
2) Mash your banana in your mug with a fork until it’s smooth and gooey, then add all the wet ingredients and mix it up.
3) Add the dry ingredients to your mug (flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and raisins) and give it a thorough stir with your fork until it’s all blended together.
4) Cook it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes – As there’s raw egg in this batter, you need to make sure its properly baked before you enjoy this sweet treat.
To make your 5-minute mug cake extra special, why not top it with something extra tasty? Drizzle on honey, swirl on some spray cream or scoop on some peanut butter or chocolate spread. Raid your cupboards for anything quick and easy to top your tiny cake with that you think will make it more indulgent.
If you don’t have a perfect-sized mug for your single-serving of scrumptious sponge, find one in our fabulous collection here.